Private Service VLANs, also sometimes refered to as Closed User Groups (CUGs), are a way for customers to create value added exchange point services for each other.
Private Research VLANs are a special case of Private Service VLANs for use by research projects under the TREX umbrella.
The customer (later refered to as "the creator") that is requesting the creation of a Private Service VLAN will need to show that at least one other customer will be connecting to the VLAN within three months. The creator will also need to provide the following information:
- the name of the VLAN
- a description of the VLAN
- any fees associated with connecting to the VLAN
- networks and protocols used on the VLAN
- requirements or restrictions for connecting to the VLAN
- administrative contact information
- technical contact information
- possible sales contact information
TREX can provide IPv4 and/or IPv6 address space for the VLAN and a mailing list for customers connected to the VLAN.
A fee of 100€ is charged for creation of the private VLAN. A fee of 100€ is charged for adding ports to a private VLAN after the first two weeks of operation.